Privacy Policy

McKendree University accords all the rights under law to students. The university will not provide access to nor disclose any information from students’ educational records without the written consent of students except as permitted by law within the institution, to other institutions at which students seek to enroll, to individuals or organizations which provide financial aid, to accrediting agencies carrying out their function, to comply with a judicial order, or in an emergency to protect the health and safety of individuals.

Within the McKendree community, only those members acting in the students’ educational interest will be allowed access to students’ educational records. These members include the Provost, the Registrar, academic advisers, the Vice President for Administration and Finance, the Vice President of Student Affairs, the Vice President for Admission and Financial Aid, Director of Financial Aid, the Director of Multicultural Affairs , and scholarship committees with a need to know.

Unless specifically requested otherwise in writing to the Registrar, the university may disclose Directory Information, which includes name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent educational institution attended, participation in activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams. Requests of non-disclosure of Directory Information must be submitted annually within two weeks of the start of the term. Students have the right to review their educational records, to challenge contents thereof, to have hearings on challenges and to submit explanatory statements for inclusion in the record.

Students who wish to review their records must make written request to the Registrar, who coordinates review procedures for educational records. With certain exceptions (financial hold), students may have copies made at their expense. Students may not review financial information submitted by their parents. Procedures to request a change in educational records are similar to those listed in this catalog under Challenges to Academic Decisions. The Office of Academic Records can provide additional information on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Refund Policy

Withdrawals and Refunds

No student who is suspended or dismissed from the university by university authorities shall be entitled to any refund of tuition, room rent or board. Any student who desires a change in course or withdrawal from one or more classes must sign and date a Change of Course form and have the form signed by the student’s Faculty Advisor, the Office of Financial Aid and the Office of Administration and Finance. This form must then be returned to and be validated by the Office of Academic Affairs. In the case of complete withdrawal from the university, the student must fill out a withdrawal form and must have this form approved by the Provost, the student’s Faculty Advisor, the Office of Student Affairs, the Library, the Office of Financial Aid, the Office of Administration and Finance, and the Office of Academic Affairs. The date on which such written approval is received by the Office of Academic Records determines the amount of refund. Failure by the student to obtain written approval makes the student ineligible for any refund.